Yellowstone targets October reopening at northern entrances

Casper Star-Tribune

The North and Northeast entrances to Yellowstone National Park are expected to reopen to the public in mid-October after suffering damage during a 500-year flood event, officials said Wednesday.

Just over a week after the June 13 flood, the park restored access to all three southern entrances. A month and a half later, 93% of roads and 94% of the backcountry are navigable again. Visitors are currently allowed to enter the two northern entrances only on foot, bicycles and horseback.

Temporary projects are ongoing near both entrances in an effort to reconnect both gateway towns and minimize the closure’s economic harm. They’re being funded primarily by $65 million in emergency relief authorized by the U.S. Department of Transportation.

The federal government wants to be “extremely responsive” following extreme weather events like the flooding in Yellowstone, Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg told the Western Governors Association last week.

People are also reading…

Permanent repairs to the roads are also in the works, but will likely take years to complete, the park said in a press release. Funding for those efforts has yet to be announced.

“The park asks the public to understand the

View Source