Townsend man dies a day after eating Dave’s Sushi; cause of death not yet confirmed

Isabel Hicks Chronicle Staff Writer

Officials confirmed that a man died in Broadwater County last week, a day after he ate dinner at Dave’s Sushi in Bozeman.

Last Friday, Dave’s Sushi voluntarily closed when several customers reported food poisoning from eating at the restaurant. The restaurant remains closed.

William “Bill” Lewis, 74, of Townsend, died in the early morning on April 18, said Broadwater County Sheriff Nick Rauser, who is also the county coroner. A relative told officers that after dinner he became very ill and dehydrated, Rauser said.

Health officials have not linked Dave’s Sushi to Lewis’ death. An autopsy was performed last Thursday, but the coroner’s office needs to receive toxicology reports before confirming a cause of death. That could take anywhere from two weeks to three months, Rauser said.

People are also reading…

KBZK first reported the news of Lewis’ death. Dave’s Sushi posted a statement about the death soon after the news broke Monday night.

“The Broadwater County Sheriff has shared with KBZK News that a man who had eaten at Dave’s Sushi on Monday, April 17, 2023, passed away on Tuesday, April 18, 2023. We are so sorry to

View Source