On December 7, 1941, Albert R. Harp, was living in Wibaux where he was operating a coal mine with his brother. His first wife was terminally ill with leukemia and passed away in April 1942. Two months later Harp enlisted in the Army and was sent to Cavalry School at Fort Riley, Kansas, where he completed his basic training, before receiving advanced training at Ft. Brown, Texas. All of which was on horseback.
Harp was assigned to the 7th U.S. Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division, at Ft. Bliss, Texas, where his duties included horseback patrols of the Mexican border. That December he returned to Ft. Riley to attend officer candidate school. Upon graduation in March 1943, Harp was assigned to Troop H, 7th Cavalry as a 2nd Lieutenant platoon leader, and was later promoted to its Troop Commander.
7th Cavalry flag
In February 1943, the 1st Cav had been “dismounted” and a training program began to convert the cavalrymen