Road-killed wildlife can be taken for consumption, but follow the rules

Fish, Wildlife & Parks

Anyone wanting to salvage a road-killed deer, elk, moose or antelope must obtain a Vehicle-Killed Wildlife Salvage Permit, Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks is reminding drivers.

These permits are available at no cost and must be obtained within 24 hours of the time a person takes an animal into their possession. Permits are available either through law enforcement officers on the scene of collisions or online on the FWP website.

As a reminder, any salvaged animal must be removed in its entirety from the roadway by the permittee. The animal may be field dressed before it leaves the area but entrails or any other parts of the animal carcass must be removed from the site to prevent attracting scavengers and predators.

Other things to keep in mind if salvaging a vehicle-killed animal:

• Road-killed animals may not be tagged and possessed with carcass tags issued for the purpose of hunting.

People are also reading…

• Any person who is picking up an animal to be salvaged must comply with all highway rules and regulations while removing the animal. Vehicles shall be parked off the roadway and out of the line

View Source