Former Vice President Mike Pence offered a noncommittal response Friday in regard to the news of Donald Trump’s second indictment.
“I’m deeply troubled to see this indictment move forward,” Pence said in an interview to conservative talk radio host Hugh Hewitt. “Yesterday on the road in Iowa, I had said I had hoped that the DOJ would see it’s way clearer not to move forward here. But let me be very clear: No one is above the law.”
Pence’s comments come after Trump announced Thursday night that he had been indicted on charges connected to his handling of classified national security records. He wrote on social media that he had been summoned to federal court on Tuesday in Miami to be charged. Trump has said that he is “totally innocent” and plans to plead not guilty.
“I think the Justice Department should immediately move to unseal the indictment,” Pence said. “I think the sooner we bring the facts forward to the American people, the better.”
Pence and Trump’s relationship has been complicated ever since the