Billings Boy Fighting For Life in PICU After Choking on NERF Dart

This story will make every parent nervous. You can control a lot of things when it comes to your child’s safety, like putting up child gates, covering electrical outlets and installing safety latches on the silverware drawer full of sharp knives. Other situations are difficult to prepare for, no matter how cautious you are.

I’m not a helicopter dad, but there are two big hazards that terrify me when it comes to my kids… choking and drowning. Steps can be taken to prevent drowning (i.e. basic pool safety and never leaving a kid alone in the bathtub), but choking can happen anytime, anywhere and there really isn’t much you can do to prepare for a situation like that.

Incredibly, the boy chocked on a NERF dart.

A 13-year-old Billings boy named Cole Darity is currently on life support in the PICU at a Billings hospital. How he choked is almost unbelievable, and it shows that it can happen when you least expect it.  Here’s what happened: Cole recently got braces on his teeth. To ease some of the pain and discomfort, he was chewing on a NERF dart. The dart somehow became lodged in his throat and the boy started choking.

According to the GoFundMe page, siblings and family first attempted the Heimlich maneuver, then

View Source